GWR 0-4-2T 14XX Class no. 1450
Photographed at the GCR depot, Loughborough, on 16 March 2011.
This locomotive was built by the GWR at Swindon in 1935 as no. 4850 at a cost of £2,255, including £497 for the boiler, and spent much of her working life shedded at Oxford. In January 1952, she was moved to Slough shed, where she remained until 1961 when she returned to Oxford.
In 1962 she went west to Taunton before transfer to the Southern Region and being tried on the steeply graded former London & South Western Railway Axminster to Lyme Regis branch. She was withdrawn from Exmouth Junction shed in May 1965, having covered 823,012 miles, and purchased by the Dart Valley Railway, and moved to Buckfastleigh.
She became one of the mainstays of the line in the early days of preservation and worked throughout the seventies and eighties between Buckfastliegh and Totnes, before being sold by the DVR to Mike Little who has now restored her to main line standards and teamed her up with auto coach no 178.
Picture added on 27 March 2011 at 16:08